‘Affluenza teen’ will have strict curfew, alcohol monitoring once he’s released

FORT WORTH — Ethan Couch will have a strict curfew and must wear an alcohol monitoring patch once he’s released from the Tarrant County jail on April 2, court documents show.

Tarrant County District Court Judge Wayne Salvant signed the documents Wednesday morning listing the four conditions of Couch’s community supervision.

Couch, now 20, became known as the “affluenza” teen after a witness at his original trial used the term while explaining that Couch didn’t know right from wrong as a result of his wealthy upbringing.

On June 15, 2013, Couch and passengers in his Ford F-350 pickup were speeding down Burleson-Retta Road when he crashed into a group of people trying to help a stranded motorist. He was later convicted in juvenile court and was ordered not to consume alcohol.

But in December 2015, a video surfaced showing a person who appeared to be Couch at a drinking party. After the video surfaced he did not respond or appear for a scheduled hearing with his probation officer.

Instead, he fled Fort Worth with his mother, Tonya Couch.

The pair was located in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, in February 2016 and were both brought back to Tarrant County to face charges.

As part of Couch’s community supervision, he will have to submit to electronic monitoring and home confinement. His GPS tracker will have a curfew set for him to not be able to leave his home until 8 a.m. each morning and he has to be home by 9 p.m. each night.

He will also have to use a SCRAM alcohol monitor and submit to monitoring by Substance Abuse Test Patch as instructed by the court or his supervision officer. It will be Couch’s responsibility to pay for the monitoring and he must obtain a new patch every 10 days.

He must abstain from taking any medications that have not been prescribed to him by a medical professional.

He also cannot operate any motor vehicle without a camera-equipped ignition interlock device.

—Fort Worth Star-Telegram

4-year-old boy snatched by the neck, killed by family dog in South Texas

A 4-year-old died from injuries he suffered from being attacked by his family’s dog on Sunday afternoon in Converse near San Antonio, according to authorities in Bexar County.

According to the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office, the family dog was tied up in the back yard of the boy’s home in the 8900 block of Twincreek Farm when relatives noticed the dog had his mouth around the boy’s neck, shaking him, according to TV station reports.

The sheriff’s office stated that family members found him lifeless and attempted to revive him, but were unsuccessful.

He was airlifted to the local hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

According to reports, authorities did not name the breed of the dog, but did describe it as a large mix.

—Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Anthony Borges, teen wounded in Parkland shooting, is recovering after surgery

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Marjory Stoneman Douglas High shooting victim Anthony Borges keeps improving, but still has a long healing process ahead of him, his attorney said Monday.

Anthony, 15, had surgery Monday to close the wounds on his legs, which attorney Alex Arreaza described as cosmetic. He said Anthony was awake during the procedure.

The teen has been lauded as a hero for using his body to block a classroom door during the Feb. 14 massacre, which left 17 dead. He was shot five times and was among the most seriously wounded of the survivors. He has undergone multiple surgeries.

Commissioner Michael Udine said the family was encouraged. Udine tweeted: “Got some good news from Anthony Borges family. Had another surgery this morning. (we are hopeful its his last). He is out and doing well.”

It’s not known how long it will be before Anthony can leave the hospital.

He is being treated at Broward Health Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale, where Arreaza said he remains in the intensive care unit.

Arreaza said Anthony has no additional surgeries scheduled.

—Sun Sentinel

Investigators: Russian mall security guard turned off fire alarm

MOSCOW — A security guard who turned off the fire alarm during a deadly blaze at a Russian shopping mall is being considered a suspect in a criminal case, federal investigators said on Monday.

At least 64 people have died because of the fire, which swept through the Winter Cherry mall on Sunday evening. Firefighters battled the blaze for more than 14 hours.

Emergency exits were blocked, and there was evidence of other safety violations, “which led to such grave consequences,” the Investigative Committee said in a statement.

President Vladimir Putin expressed his condolences to the victims of the disaster and pledged state support. Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said the victims’ families would receive a million roubles ($17,500).

Authorities have detained several people for questioning, including the lessee of the premises where the blaze is believed to have originated, as well as the person in charge of the company that manages the mall.

The eponymous Kemerovo region, a hub for coal-mining and heavy industry in western Siberia, has declared a period of mourning for the next three days.