From Staff Reports

This years marks the five year anniversary for the Lawn America Prosper Invitational soccer tournament. The Prosper Eagles were eager to defend their two consecutive titles when they took the field for their opening game against Prestonwood Christian Academy. The team came out looking to dominate possession, and they did just that in the opening moments of the game. As the game wore on, it became apparent that the PCA squad were looking to play an offside trap with a high backline. The Eagles recognized what their opponents were giving them, and began to find space in behind to create goal scoring opportunities. By the time the final whistle blew, Prosper had amassed four goals for a comfortable 4-1 victory.

The boys in green and white returned to the field Thursday evening to take on El Paso Parkland. This was a game that featured two very different playing styles as the Prosper Eagles wanted to put high pressure on their opponents and break forward, while Parkland were more methodical in their approach to the game. The Eagles dominated much of the first half, but were caught on a counterattack and went into halftime down 1-0.

The team regrouped after the break and came out firing in the second half. They nearly rippled the net several times, but were unable to score. El Paso put one more ball past the Eagle ‘keeper to go up 2-0 late in the game. With a never-say-die mentality, Prosper continued to fight and put pressure on the visitors. It paid off with a goal with just under three minutes to play. Unfortunately time ran out before they could find an equalizer, and the game ended 2-1 in favor of El Paso.

Friday was a day for the Eagles to make their play for a spot in the semi-finals. Their game against Red Oak was a must-win, and the team played like they knew it. From the opening whistle the Eagles controlled the game, moving the ball from one side of the field to the other and from front to back with ease. All of that possession did not yield a goal in the first half, however, and the team went into halftime tied 0-0.

The second half was much the same as the first and saw Prosper continue to move the ball at will against Red Oak. The game appeared destined for a tie when an Eagle defender managed to heel the ball into the net with only moments remaining. That goal would be enough to win the game and propel the Eagles into Saturday’s semi-finals.

Paris High School was the opponent that Prosper drew in the semi-finals. On paper both teams matched up fairly evenly setting the stage for a battle. Paris used high pressure defense to unsettle the Eagles early, but soon the home team found their groove and began to find holes in the Wildcats’ squad. Prosper struck paydirt first when an Eagle attacker rose above the Paris defense to head home a pinpoint cross for a 1-0 lead. The

visitors were not deterred, however, and immediately scored a goal of their own to tie the game at one goal each.

Later in the first half, Prosper scored again on another header, this one coming from a corner kick. That 2-1 lead did not stand, though, as Paris were able to level the score at 2-2 before the break.

The second half featured the Eagles pressing forward in search of a game-winner, but they were not able to find it. The game was forced to go to a penalty kick shootout to determine a winner. The Wildcat ‘keeper came up big to stop two Eagle penalty kicks to seal a Paris win. The 2014 Prosper Eagles were stopped in their search for a third consecutive Lawn America Prosper Invitational title. The team’s overall record now stands at 2-1-1.