I have lived in a number of places — North Texas, Austin, New Mexico, California (L.A. and San Francisco), South Louisiana, and Georgia — and have found that often I failed to take advantage of the interesting things to do and see in my own backyard. Only after I had moved on did I realize that I should have taken a movie studio tour in Hollywood or spent more time in the Vieux Carre in the Big Easy or taken in Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico or — well, you get the drift.
The “bucket list” idea (things to do before you kick the bucket) is a bit morbid, so I will call this a non-bucket list of things you should see or do in Texoma before 2019 comes around.
1. Spend a morning or afternoon at the Hagerman Wildlife Refuge.
2. Cross the river and visit the Fort Washita Historic site in Oklahoma.
3. Dedicate a day to local history with trips to the Sherman Museum, the Katy Museum, and Eisenhower Birthplace site.
4. Put Bonham on you destination list for visits to the Fannin Historical Museum, Fort Inglish, the Sam Rayburn Library and home.
5. Catch a live performance at the Finley Playhouse, the Honey McGee Children’s Theater and the Rialto in Denison.
6. Take in a small town high school football game.
7. Attend a performance of the Sherman Symphony at Kidd-Key Auditorium.
8. Check out the Sherman Jazz Museum.
9. Go to a high school baseball game.
10. Have a picnic at Waterloo Park in Denison or Herman Baker Park in Sherman.
11. Attend Hot Summer Nights.
12. Explore the Eisenhower State Park and the Denison Dam complex.
13. Take a stroll through the campus of Austin College on a warm spring day.
14. Go to as many local Christmas parades as you can fit in.
15. Go to a rodeo and a dirt track car race.
16. Visit the Perrin Field Museum.
17. Chose a pretty spring day, and go for a drive along the back roads of Grayson County just to take in the countryside.
18. Hang out on a beach at Lake Texoma on a hot summer afternoon.
19. Have lunch at the Grayson College Culinary School dining room.
20. Come up with some more things to do, and let me know what they are at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy birthday Tuesday to Gwen Phea, Myrtle Tate, Sharion Sather, Brooklyn Brown, and LaMarcus Wroten, all of Sherman.
Happy anniversary Tuesday to Windell and Lynnette Walters, of Allen, 30 years.