Trump campaign ex-staffer asks judge to keep NDA suit public
NEW YORK — A former manager on President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign who claims she was harassed on the job and is seeking to nullify a non-disclosure agreement is pressing to have her claims heard in public.
Jessica Denson asked a New York judge on Monday to deny the campaign’s request to force the non-disclosure case into arbitration. The Los Angeles-based actress briefly oversaw phone banks and Latino outreach for the Trump campaign. Denson, whose screen credits include the CBS crime drama “Person of Interest,” is representing herself.
Lawyers for the campaign have asked to force Denson into closed-door arbitration, saying she’s required by her contract to resolve disputes privately. Denson says she never agreed to mediate such allegations.
Denson separately sued the campaign, claiming she was harassed on the job. She says the non-disclosure agreement makes it more difficult to proceed with that suit and potentially puts her on the hook to pay a $1.5 million penalty for violating the NDA.
— Bloomberg News
Durham pool where 3 people were found dead passed a health inspection this month
DURHAM, N.C. — A swimming pool at an apartment complex in west Durham where three people were found dead early Tuesday passed an inspection earlier this month, county records show.
Police found two males and one female submerged at the Chapel Tower apartments after being called shortly after 3 a.m.
The three, whose ages and identities were not immediately released, were pronounced dead at Duke University Hospital, Durham police spokesman Wil Glenn said.
By Tuesday evening, police had not disclosed a cause of death.
The pool was last inspected June 8, when it met county standards, according to documents from the Durham County Health Department.
“When it was inspected 10 days ago, everything was OK,” said Khali Gallman, a spokeswoman for the department. “We are awaiting an investigation by the police department to be completed. There has been lots of speculation, but no one knows for sure.”
The county inspection report indicated that the pool’s water was clear enough to see the bottom, and that pool workers kept a daily record of the water quality and kept a test kit on site.
The inspector also found that the pool’s main drain cover was secure and working properly. It was also noted that the pool’s surface was free of floating debris and that depth markings for the 8-foot water were visible and clearly located.
The only issue found during the 30-minute inspection was that a ladder was missing a “bumper” and needed to be flush with the pool’s wall.
The inspector found no discrepancies with the pool’s automatic chlorine and bromine feeders that disperse the disinfectants, nor anything improper with the pump and filter.
On Tuesday morning, police at the Chapel Tower pool collected items, possibly clothing, they found behind a green chain-link fence and placed them in brown bags.
— The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.)
5 reported killed as violence flares up in Nicaragua
MANAGUA, Nicaragua — Five people were killed and dozens injured on Tuesday when Nicaraguan police and paramilitary gunmen took control of the protester stronghold of Masaya, attacking barricades erected by demonstrators, a human rights activist said.
“This has been a real massacre,” Alvaro Leiva, director of the rights group Asociacion Nicaraguense Pro Derechos Humanos (ANPDH), told broadcaster Canal 15.
He put the number of injured at 34, and said more than 20 women as well as an unknown number of men had been arrested in the locality, about 15 miles east of the capital Managua.
“We are under fire, a permanent and disproportionate hail of bullets against the civilian population,” Leiva said earlier.
Thirty-seven more people were reported to have been injured in Ticuantepe in the same region.
“We ask the Nicaraguan government to stop the repression and to no longer tarnish its image before the international community,” Nicaraguan bishop Silvio Baez tweeted.
Luis Almagro, secretary general of the Organization of American States, condemned the violence and tweeted that Masaya “has shown its heroism on the darkest pages in the history of Nicaragua.”
The Central American country’s Catholic Church has mediated in talks between the government and protesters that ran into difficulties on Monday.
Demonstrators’ representatives accused the government of not keeping its promises to invite international experts to investigate the two-month wave of violence.
Rights groups put the death toll at up to 215 and the number of injured victims at more than 1,400. The government only acknowledges 46 deaths and blames them on criminals or people with political agendas.
A parliamentary Truth Commission on Tuesday put the number of deaths at 173.
The unrest was triggered by protests against a pension reform on April 18. President Daniel Ortega has resisted subsequent calls on him to call early elections and resign.