WASHINGTON — The Trump administration Tuesday slapped new sanctions on companies and transport systems that support North Korea as part of a campaign aimed at punishing the country for its nuclear program.


A day after President Donald Trump reinstated Pyongyang to the U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism, the administration sanctioned one person, 13 companies and 20 vessels for their “long-standing commercial ties to North Korea” or as “transportation networks that facilitate North Korea’s revenue generation and operations.”


Most of the vessels were cargo ships with North Korean flags. One of the companies, the South-South Cooperation Corporation, supplied workers to China, Russia, Cambodia and Poland. The United States has called on countries the world over to stop hiring North Korean workers, whose salaries mostly go to their government.


The sanctions are the latest in a long line that have yet to deter Kim Jong Un from pursuing nuclear weapons.


“As North Korea continues to threaten international peace and security, we are steadfast in our determination to maximize economic pressure to isolate it from outside sources of trade and revenue while exposing its evasive tactics,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in announcing the new sanctions.


—Tribune Washington Bureau


———


Ex-Trump campaign aides facing charges can travel for Thanksgiving


WASHINGTON — Paul Manafort and Richard Gates, two of President Donald Trump’s former campaign aides who are under indictment in the special counsel investigation, will be able to travel for the Thanksgiving holiday, a federal judge decided Tuesday.


The two men have been under house arrest since last month, when they were arrested on charges of conspiracy, money laundering and fraud.


Manafort served as Trump’s campaign manager, and Gates was his deputy. They’ve pleaded not guilty to the charges. Prosecutors said after their arrests that with their extensive connections overseas, the men might be flight risks.


There are some conditions to their holiday travel. They must report where they’re going, continue wearing GPS devices and abstain from drinking, the judge ruled.


—Los Angeles Times


———


Gold medal gymnast Gabby Douglas says team doctor abused her as well


After coming under fire for victim-shaming one of her fellow gymnasts, Olympic gold medalist Gabby Douglas revealed on Tuesday that she, too, was abused by disgraced U.S. gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar.


In a lengthy statement posted to Instagram, Douglas apologized to her teammate Aly Raisman for suggesting last week that she perhaps wouldn’t have been abused by Nassar if she didn’t dress in a “provocative” way.


Then, Douglas said she also endured Nassar’s abuse.


“I didn’t publicly share my experiences as well as many other things because for years we were conditioned to stay silent and honestly some things were extremely painful,” Douglas, 21, wrote.


Douglas said no one has the right to “harass or abuse” women, no matter what they’re wearing.


“It would be like saying that because of the leotards we wore, it was our fault that we were abused by Larry Nassar,” she added.


Douglas is the third member of the 2012 Olympic gold medal team to accuse 53-year-old Nassar of abuse.


Raisman, 23, revealed last week that Nassar touched her inappropriately during a number of treatment sessions, starting when she was in her teens. Her teammate McKayla Maroney said last month that Nassar molested her for several years, beginning when she was just 13.


Nassar is currently in a Michigan jail awaiting sentencing for pleading guilty to three counts of child pornography. He’s also preparing for a trial next month over charges that he sexually assaulted nine girls.


In addition to those disturbing claims, Nassar is being sued by more than 130 women and girls who filed a class-action civil suit alleging that the disgraced doctor abused them under the guise of medical treatment.


—New York Daily News


———


Manhunt for Pennsylvania cop killer ends after three-day search


The 29-year-old man accused of slaying a rookie cop during a New Kensington, Pa., traffic stop has been apprehended after a dogged three-day manhunt, authorities said Tuesday.


The arrests landed suspected cop killer Rahmael Holt and his mother in custody following the Friday night shooting death of 25-year-old Officer Brian Shaw about 20 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, according to court records and Pennsylvania State Police.


The time and place of Holt’s arrest was not immediately clear.


Holt’s mother, Sherry Holt, denied knowledge of her wanted son’s whereabouts during a Monday night interview with KDKA-TV. She claimed Holt wanted to turn himself into authorities.


She was captured along with Holt and charged with hinder apprehension of prosecution, records show.


Allegheny County Sheriff’s Office made the arrests, the documents state.


Holt faces charges of murder and firearm possession in death of Shaw, who joined the New Kensington police force in June. The officer suffered a fatal gunshot wound while chasing after an armed suspect during a traffic stop Friday night.


—New York Daily News


———


Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.