The man who fatally shot a Little Elm detective during a standoff last month was killed by an officer’s bullet.

Rudy Garcia’s death — from a gunshot wound to the head — was ruled a homicide by the Tarrant County medical examiner. His time of death was 9:27 p.m.

In the aftermath of the standoff, if was unclear whether the 46-year-old’s death had come from a responding officer’s gun or his own.

An elderly woman was inside the house with Garcia during the standoff, but Lt. Orlando Hinojosa with the Denton County Sheriff’s Office confirmed Monday that Garcia was mortally wounded during an exchange of gunfire with police.

The Texas Rangers are still investigating. Lt. Lonny Haschel, a Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman, said Sunday that he had no new information to release about the incident.

Walker, an 18-year-veteran of the Little Elm force, was the town’s first officer killed in the line of duty.

The 48-year-old narcotics detective was called to the home where Garcia was barricaded less than a mile from Little Elm police headquarters on the afternoon of Jan. 17.

Walker made his way to an observation point near the home in the 1400 block of Turtle Cove Drive. Armed with a rifle and sight, his task was to relay information about the barricaded man’s position to the officer in command of the scene.

Around 4 p.m., a shot was fired from the house toward the street. Little Elm police Chief Rodney Harrison radioed Walker and asked whether he could tell where the round had come from.

“I think that he’s shooting at us,” Walker responded.

Walker then fell to the ground as a “hail of gunfire” from inside the home overwhelmed him, Harrison later said.

Two officers returned fire, and police were unable to establish contact with Garcia after that. More than six hours later, authorities used an armored vehicle to make a hole in the front of the house, and a robot was able to verify that Garcia was dead.

Walker, a father of four, had been pronounced dead at a Denton hospital a little more than an hour earlier.

Garcia’s brother would later say that he had mental-health problems. Court records showed a history of domestic violence and alcohol abuse.

One former girlfriend got a protective order against Garcia in 2001 after he tried to break in to her home; she had it extended twice, telling the court about how Garcia would get mad every two or three days “and take it out on me.”

Another ex-girlfriend went to the police after Garcia grabbed her by the neck and forced her into a car in 2006. He was found guilty of assault and was sentenced to probation — which was later revoked.

More than 2,500 people from across the country honored Walker’s life during his funeral at Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano. Friends remembered him as a devoted father, soldier and officer.

“Although Jerry’s death is not what we wanted,” Harrison told mourners, “I want you to know he did not die in vain.”